Tuesday, January 1, 2008

American Samoa

And so, we begin. New Years' Day is always quiet so learning opportunities have been thin on the ground, so I'll start with this dubious piece of fact, given out by Gethin Jones at quarter past midnight:

American Samoa is the last place in the world to see in the New Year, and does so at 11am GMT.

This bit of information troubles me principally because I'm not entirely sure whether I knew it already, as I was aware that it would be one of the Pacific Islands. I had not accounted for my brain being unable to recall existing knowledge, so this sort of creates a grey area. However I considered what answer I would have given, were I asked 'where is the last place in the world to see in the New Year?' and I concluded that although I could have given one of the Pacific Islands as a guess, I didn't previously know that the answer (according to Gethin) is American Samoa. So it counts.

More of the same, same time tomorrow!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: