Friday, January 18, 2008

The League of Wasteroos

I’ll be honest, it’s a proper rush job today, I’m using the last dregs of the working week to give you a fresh dose of fact, as after this I’m journeying into Central London, and may be too full of meat and Pepsi to make it back to Knowledge Towers by midnight. Anyway today I did a geography quiz that I found in the Independent, and can smugly report that I learnt precious little from it – my nerdy knowledge of world facts knows no bounds. However there was one current bit of info that’s new to me, and it is as follows:

The United Arab Emirates is the world’s biggest producer of carbon emissions per capita.

Now a very brief trawl through the internet has failed to confirm this, with Wikipedia pushing the millionaire’s playground, with it’s in-no-way wasteful artificial golf courses and boat-shaped hotels into a lowly second, instead offering up Qatar as the biggest wasteroos. This list is pretty subjective though, with the mega-polluting, over-developed meganations of Aruba, Luxembourg and Trinidad & Tobago also appearing in the Top Ten. Judging things per capita (i.e. divided by the total population) is not really a fair reflection; looking at the total emissions list sees big bad China, despite protestations from the West, continuing to pump enough filth into the air to take second place on the list. The number one? America. Maybe that’s why China ain’t listening…

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: