Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Some Good News

Today I learnt about a common trend that runs through two fundamental areas in our society: employment and crime. The odd thing is that I read about it in two separate articles tucked inside a free paper. And here, I think, is the reason why:

Unemployment in the UK and crime in Greater London both dropped to record lows in January 2008; Overall crime in the London area fell to it's lowest level for nine years, whilst the number of people claiming unemployment benefits fell to it's lowest level for 32 years.

Not much else I want to say really; I could go into details, but the media don't often feel the need to expand on bad news, so I don't feel inclined to expand on good news. What annoys me is that this is not on the front page - the article on crime is on Page 6, below toot like Britney Spears buying a pregnancy test and Al-Qaeda trying to kill the prime minister (Ok, that is quite interesting, but ultimately fictional). The article about benefits claimants is in the 'briefs' section, which when you consider the Mail puts 'THEY'RE COMING FOR OUR JOBS' on the cover of their paper every fucking day, shows a pretty uneven playing field in British journalism. So I've picked out the good news from the lies and scaremongering, preserving it forever, so we can all see that for all the gloom and mistrust we're fed every day, things seem to be looking up. As for the housing market? Let's just leave it at the good news.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: